CONTRARY to the over-eager mainstream media’s recent irresponsible headlines, Britain’s Coronavirus-induced lockdown will continue next week – with some ‘modest’ changes.
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab said at the daily press conference in Downing Street that while the government was in the position to think about the next phase of its pandemic response, members of the public should continue to follow physical distancing guidelines over the bank holiday weekend and beyond.
The prime minister had earlier said changes would be introduced from Monday, with members of the public expected to be informed of a few minor ‘allowances’, including that they will be allowed to go out for ‘unlimited exercise’ – providing of course, that they are indeed exercising.
Raab said: “As we enter another long bank holiday weekend I think the message is very clear: follow the guidance. There is no change today in the guidance or in the rules, but the prime minister will set out a roadmap on Sunday.
“Any changes in the short-term will be modest, small and incremental, very carefully monitored, and as for now there are no changes.”
Essentially, the lockdown has been extended beyond the official review point of 7 May until more information is released on Sunday.
Temperatures are expected to be as high as 26C over the weekend in London and south-east England, which has led to fears people may be tempted to selfishly break the lockdown rules.
Downing Street has said it is still receiving scientific advice on what the next steps should be and is considering setting out plans based on a number of “milestones”.
Sir Ian Diamond, head statistician of the ONS, said all the data he had seen leaned more in support of KEEPING the lockdown, with extra importance being concentrated on physical distancing to further control the pandemic and to also be prepared for a potential second wave.