CRIME

EXTRAORDINARILY BAD: Trial Of Hillsborough Accused Hears Prosecution Case

Preston Crown Court has continued to hear the case against David Duckenfield, 74, who denies the manslaughter through gross negligence of 95 Liverpool fans who died during the Hillsborough tragedy, and former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, 69, who denies contravening a condition of the ground’s safety certificate and a health and safety offence.

Richard Matthews QC, prosecuting,  told the court that they would hear from expert John Cutlack who estimated the capacity figure for the Leppings Lane terrace, where the fatal crush happened on April 15, 1989, should have been 5,426, rather than 7,200.

Mr Matthews said:

“It’s right that by 1989 and the day of the disaster there had already been a protracted process involving consideration of new conditions, or draft conditions, and recognition by all, well if not all by many, who were concerned with the safety certificate that it was very out of date.

“That it was very out of date by the day of the disaster is, I think, without contention.

“Few of those involved with the safety certificate appear to have performed their function diligently in this regard.”

Video footage from an FA Cup Semi-Final involving Spurs was also shown in which the police let fans out of a pitch perimeter gate and onto the pitch was also shown as the prosecution continued to outline their case against Duckenfield and Mackrell.

Comment Below.   CAN YOU HELP US REPORT MORE UNREPORTED NEWS?
SHARE!
0
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

MOST READ

To Top
HELP US REPORT UNREPORTED NEWS