A LABOUR Mayor has cancelled a local Remembrance Day parade sparking a huge backlash.
Local media reports that Saltash mayor confirmed the decision not to arrange a formal procession through the town honouring fallen war heroes on November 11 – because officials didn’t want children to go hungry or get cold.
Councillor John Brady said there were lots happening to honour the military on the day already.
A Remembrance Service at The Church of St Nicholas and St Faith had been timed for 2pm to accommodate youngsters taking part in a planned pebble laying event commemorating the First World War earlier in the day.
Cllr Brady said any parade would have had to be squeezed in late afternoon – which wouldn’t have been fair on families.
It comes after rumours circulated online that the annual parade – a crowd pleaser during the commemorations – would not go ahead this year.
A petition has been launched in a bid to pressure authorities into organising one.
Asked why a parade had not been planned, Cllr Brady said: “Lots of events are going on during the day; lots of events.
“For the record, I have served 23 years in the Royal Navy.
“There is a pebble laying, to mark the First World War centenary, not arranged by the town council.
People have vented their fury on Facebook over the decision not to organise a parade.
Julie Dingle said: “I’m sorry but come on Saltash people, this is terrible?
“It’s such an important year! Let’s make some noise and our feelings known? We need to show some respect and that’s not happening???”
Richard Fry said: “Can’t believe on the centenary year there won’t be a parade of remembrance through the town!!”
Debbie Harbon said: “What an absolute insult to the people of Saltash to be unable to remember those brave people who gave their lives so that we may have ours.”