THE DUKE of Edinburgh has been admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London as a precautionary measure on the advice of his doctor after feeling unwell, Buckingham Palace confirmed on Wednesday.
The palace said the husband of the Queen was admitted to the private King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday evening.
Buckingham Palace said the admission was “a precautionary measure” taken on the advice of Philip’s doctor. The palace said he is expected to remain for a few days of “observation and rest.”
Philip previously spent four nights at the same hospital in December 2019 for treatment on a “pre-existing condition” while he has suffered a number of ailments over the years, including being treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011 and a bladder infection in June 2012 forcing him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
Exploratory surgery on his abdomen followed in June 2013 and he began to use hearing aids by 2014, aged 93.
He later pulled out of a Battle of Jutland anniversary event in June 2016 citing a minor ailment which was followed soon after by his retirement from public duty in 2017.